Thursday, November 15, 2012

Old and typical tv shows!

Gawd Blimey! What a nasty weather! If you will pardon me, I shall attempt to write a blog entry on the awesomeness of the olden times and enlighten you with my lovely/dreary British slang, while the weather wears on and keeps me indoors.



"I want to see Part 1 and 2 as well". - Click here!

PS- notice the background music and stuff!

At times I suspect if I was accidentally born in the 21st century, because my mind often strays back to the centuries of the past, with those ankle length dresses, ink pens, the British-influenced-American accents that the posh wannabes forged, and of course, the old tv classics. The past is like perfume that fades with time, but can always get sporadic renewals, and get you all tickety-boo!

Of course, that doesn't mean I hate the movies they make these days.. but.. there's always this classy, quirky acting that the old movies have, that just CAN NOT be beaten. Perhaps it's the kewl outfits, or the accents, but it just fascinates me to lay my eyes on such shows (Alfred Hitchcock Presents), because it takes me back to a time where there were no cell phones. Or iPods. Or laptops. And people spend their spare time doodling with mustard or knitting, or whatever. Not that people don't do that these days or anything! But yeah.

I am quite uncertain on whether I may be correct, but I feel as if there is a gradual inclination for many others (like me) to travel back in time these days. I recently discovered another blog- http://www.thepeachmartini.com/
It is just kind of comforting to read old english (some of the blogger's posts are all vintage and antique-ey) and yes, I know what you are thinking, my darling reader, and no, I am convinced that I am not a very insane person.

Another thing I wanna talk about is (it's been a while since I've posted so I kind of have a lot to sayy) is the OMG the background music that you hear, but wisely chose to ignore, in television shows, movies, and stuff.

These days, I have been giving particular attention to the background music. Because it fascinates me sometimes! Each different region has a different background effect.

Like, for eg, South Indian serials, I have noticed, have really fast classical music in suspense/bad scenes. So the scary sound of a female voice spazzing with millions of sitars in the background, or the soft and calming, yet haunting sound of a harmonium, controls your mood more than the script/acting.

For North Indian, I'm sure we all have heard of Balika Vadhu. If you haven't, here's a random scene-



Omg. Now after watching it, I can't resist but write down a few (freakishly comical) things you'll find in just about every Indian serial!!! Here are some-
1) Suspense/scary background music runs for(......)ever
2) In the meantime, faces. The camera goes from Anandi to Kalyani to Sumawati or whoever, and back to Kalyani.
3) They speak with eyes. Honestly, the script may be less than 5 words, but to convey the message, it takes the whole 30 minutes of the scene.
4) SUDDEN shift in mood. The lightning speed music rushes and suddenly, it's quiet, happy, and nonsensical.

Of course, these funny things are smashed aside as over 80% of the viewers, I'm sure, watch these serials with utmost interest and seriousness. Sometimes I do sit down with my grandma and watch it for fun, because it is just so entertaining :P

And ofcourse, you go abroad, you may find similarities, and maybe I'm wrong, but I guess Grey's Anatomy has more drama on the script and acting than the effects, unlike Indian tv shows. Now, I'm not saying what's right and what's wrong, but perhaps after today, you'll start noticing the background music and old tv shows!

PS- Nothing in this post is meant to insult/hurt your sentiments. In case you do watch Balika Vadhu and suddenly feel like punching me if you felt anything I mentioned was insensitive, please forgive me :)

Much love, 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love how you pointed out these minute details we always overlook. The background music in movies, the comical sense of tv serials. And haha wow, it's really cool how you got creative with the English language and made it sound old.

songbird said...

I'm so glad you liked it :)

A Reckless Dreamer said...

I Love Greys Anatomy. The closest I have been to British English is Harry Potter!
Thanks for the comment on my blog. Means a lot. :)

+To Me It Matters+

Anonymous said...

While I was reading this blog, I was like "OMG THAT'S SO TRUE!!"
haha really nice post! I like it :)

songbird said...

Haha, I love Harry Potter. And you're welcome! :)

songbird said...

Haha I'm glad you agree. Thanks!!

caribooze said...

I thought I was pretty much the only person alive who thought this, haha! It's really good, I love the way you write. Also, Alfred Hitchcock Presents is amazing, I love him so much!

songbird said...

Glad you liked it! And I knoow, he is so awesome! xD

Walden Shmidt said...

heyy songbird,,,,
i must be the only one who finds this fascinating yet ludicrous....
you obviously cant compare hitchcock's classics with balika vadhu
though i havent seen many of hitchcock's works(by this i mean ive only seen vertigo and i gotta admit i was pretty impressed)
and you forgot to mention the best part of indian movies ,ie, the action
hahahaha its more flying than fighting, really
but this is a great post or in a more prefered way i should say "jolly good, mate"
cheers

songbird said...

I wasn't comparing Hitchcock's classics with Balika Vadhu -_-
Those are two different things in one post.
Haha, glad you found it 'jolly good' :D